I have worked within several NHS trusts providing psychological therapy for adults experiencing a wide variety of psychological problems within primary care settings, along with several counselling services within the voluntary sector.
I have a specific interest the psychological impact of trauma; this could be a ‘one off’ overwhelming event, such as car accident or violent attack, or a series of events or experiences stretching back to childhood, such as abuse or poor relationships with early attachment figures. Such experiences can continue to cause difficulties in the present with symptoms often being anxiety, depression, hypervigilance, hopelessness, dissociation, alterations in self-perception, difficulty managing emotions, nightmares or panic.
I have completed advanced training with Dr Laurel Parnell, the developer of Attachment-Focused EMDR (AF-EMDR), which approaches trauma from a relational perspective. Relational trauma (or Complex-PTSD) occurs in the context of relationships where there has been a profound violation of human connection and where healthly attachment is significantly impared. This can be in adult life, but it is also very common for this to occur in the formative years with a parent, primary caregiver, teacher, relative or any significant other. It may result as a failure to provide adequate care or attend to a child’s emotional needs; it may follow neglect, bullying, abandonment, traumatic loss, physical, sexual or emotional abuse committed by a person of trust or being raised in a dysfunctional family.
- Higher Education Diploma in Relational Therapeutic Counselling and Psychotherapy, Leeds Beckett University (BACP Accredited).
- Certificate in Counselling Studies; Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body.
- Certificate in Counselling Skills; Counselling & Psychotherapy Central Awarding Body.
- Drug issues for public health practitioners
Certificates and Further Training
- Attachment Focussed EMDR, Dr Laurel Parnell – Advanced Clinical Workshop.
- Attachment Focussed EMDR, EMDR Focus, CCPE London.
- EMDR Flash Technique, (Dr. Philip Manfield)
- Eye Movement Desensitisation and Reprocessing, EMDR Europe Accredited Training.
- Sand tray therapy
- Trauma and the body
- Therapeutic crisis intervention
- Solution-focused therapy
- Working with the aftermath of sexual abuse